Monday, April 4, 2011

My Grandma Mary…

was a super special lady.

A few days ago, my Mom called and said that things weren’t looking too well for her. I told her I would be down on Sunday to visit her.

Sunday morning my mom called me again and told me that it was my decision to come down but things weren’t looking well at all.

I made the decision.

I got up, brushed my teeth, threw on some clothes and hopped in the car with Cooper.

I got to the nursing home and my Mom walked me back to her room.

It’s not easy seeing someone that was always moving and laughing laying in bed, not able to  do anything. I leaned down and talked in her good ear.

“Grandma. It’s me Debbie.  I love you.”

She opened her eyes and mumbled back “Love you too.”

I leaned down again and said, “I missed you. I wanted to see you. I love you.”

She gave a small grin.

Over the next hour or so, every time she would open her eyes, I would lean down and tell her I loved her. She would mumble, “love you too” back to me. Right before I left I leaned down again.

“Grandma. I love you. I’ll see you again real soon. I’ll miss you.”

She passed away today. At 7:11AM with her son, Alan by her side.

I’m grateful I got to say goodbye.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you were there, it sounds like she needed to say good bye to you, just was much as you needed to say good bye to her. Michele

    ReplyDelete