Friday, April 1, 2011

Can you believe it is April 1st?

I looked at the calendar and sure enough. We are already to April. There are only 24 days until Easter.  There are 37 days until Mother’s Day. 60 days until my birthday. 61 days until my twin’s birthday. No seriously. We were born technically a day apart because of the times we were born. I was born at 11:53PM on May 31. She didn’t make her arrival until 12:07AM on June 1st. There are 267 days until Christmas. Which means if you get paid on the 15th and the end of the month, you have 17 paychecks left to plan what to buy.

APRIL FOOLS!!!

Me and my twin were born within seconds of each other via c-section. On the same day. Which really is May 31. The month of the twin. The sign of Gemini. Which is also…twin sign. My mom is also a twin. But she’s not cool enough to have been born in the month of May like her daughters {and no…that isn’t another joke…that is fact}.

I googled some other facts about April 1. I found them on this site:

http://woodridge.patch.com/articles/april-fools-day-fun-facts

  • The Scottish love April Fools' Day. In fact they love it so much, they celebrate it for two days. In Scotland they call it "hunting the gowk" (the cuckoo), and if you are tricked, you are an "April gowk." To really get "behind" (pun!) the holiday,  the second day, called "Taily Day," is devoted to pranks involving the back side of the body. The "butt" of these jokes may often have a "kick me" sign placed on their back. I love some Scottish traditions. I also have a tad of Scottish heritage way back in my family history.
  • There's something fishy going on in France. Kids fool their friends by taping a paper fish to their backs. When the victim discovers the fish, the prankster yells "Poisson d'Avril!" (April Fish!) Not quite sure about this. I guess it would be funny for kids.
  • In Portugal, April Fool's Day is actually celebrated on the Sunday and Monday before Lent.  The big trick there? Throwing flour at your friend's face. –THIS isn’t the kind of prank I would enjoy being the victim of.
  • In Poland everyone takes part in April Fool's Day activities, including the media and sometimes public institutions. All serious activities are completely avoided for the day. A favorite joke? Pouring water on people. Again…don’t do this one to me. 
  • According to this CareerBuilder.com survey, 32 percent of workers say they have either initiated or been on the receiving end of an April Fools’ Day prank at work. I never was. 
  • In certain areas of Belgium, children lock out their parents or teachers and only let them in if they promise to give them sweets. I may promise my children something for locking me out of the house or car but it sure wouldn’t be sweets.
  • Depending on where you live in England, instead of a "fool" you could be called a "noodle," "noddy," "gobby" or "gob." I think I will call everyone a noodle today. Because that is funny. 
  • Mark Twain appeared to be  a big fan of "fools." Some of his pinings on fools include:

"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and leave no doubt.

Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed.

The first of April is the day we remember what we are the other 364 days of the year."

 

So a few interesting facts right? I think so.

Did I get my kids this morning?

Yep. I told them I changed my mind and they couldn’t go to any sleepovers tonight. Shayne in her usual fashion, “You mean, I packed my bag for nothing?”

Stormy in her usual fashion, “WHAT?!?! WHHHHHHHYYYYYYYY NOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTT?”

And me…

“APRIL FOOL’S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Shayne grinned. Stormy kept whining. I had to explain I was tricking her.

She never finds my tricks funny. {if you click on that link, it will take you to the old blog and the prank I played on my darling girl}

 

So…Happy April Fool’s Day everyone!!!

1 comment: