Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Easter.2011

My darlings wake up early. Like really early. Well, what is early to them anyways. 7:30ish if you want to get exact. You see, Shayne woke everyone up. She knew the bunny had visited in the night time. I had all the bigger darlings sit on the top stair for a quick pic.

IMG_0656

And then it was finding your basket, getting as many eggs as you can, hollering, crazy morning at our home.

IMG_0664 IMG_0665 IMG_0666

In the end, it doesn’t matter how many eggs they found. I counted them all out so they would each have an even amount. It saves a crazy amount of fighting in this house.

After the egg hunt was done, it was chill time for a little bit before church.

Yep. For the second year in a row, I took my kids to church by myself. Last year I went to my sister-in-law’s church. Which was a nice service. But it was a bit of a culture shock for someone that goes to a Catholic church for most of their life. So this year, I went to my church. Yep, a Catholic church. I haven’t been to church in quite some time, I’m sad to say. This is going to change though. My kids know that God is above all else. That he is the greatest force there is. What they don’t know? How to behave in church. Connor wanted to color in the “books.” Yep. The scriptures. Sage wanted to play on the kneeler. Stormy wanted to talk. Shayne wanted to see what was happening. And dear sweet Cooper? Wanted to sleep. Which that was okay with me. The little boy behind us and Connor had a pinching each other’s fingers on the pew contest. I gave Connor “the look.” His response? “He started it.” My response to that? “I don’t care who started it. I’m stopping it now.” The kids weren’t really that bad at all. Just…not used to church. The lovely old couple behind me leaned up and said, “You have a beautiful family.” I smiled and said, “thank you.” During the “peace be with you” moment, the nice people around said, “Peace. Lovely family you have.” Again, my response? “Thank you. I need peace.” The only other hiccough was during communion. Sage was not happy she didn’t get anything and her Momma did.

Quick question. Since when is it appropriate to wear super short cut-off shorts to church? Especially on Easter Sunday. Seriously. I’m pretty sure my jaw dropped a little when I saw the teen in these shorts. I was actually surprised at what a lot of people were wearing. I guess dressing nicely for church just isn’t a big thing anymore. Is it? I know God doesn’t care what we wear so why should I? It just seems so disrespectful to me. Jeans caked with mud. Cut-off shorts that are too short. Ratty-tatty tee shirts. Maybe it’s just me.

ANYWAYS. We made it through the Sunday Mass.

And then we headed home for a big, Easter lunch that I cooked. Also—we changed into some comfy clothes.  Late afternoon, we headed for my mother-in-law’s for a cookout and egg hunt.

IMG_0752 IMG_0754IMG_0739 IMG_0740

Then it was time to head home.

Thank God.

I was exhausted. It had been a long weekend.

Thank God. I got to spend it with people that mean the most to me.

How did you spend your Easter?

1 comment:

  1. Great story and nobody's kids know how to act in church unless they are taken a lot! Not every day like I took you kids, but at least once a week. Catholics love large families!! Great story. You'll have to read my blog (later) to find out about my Easter.

    ReplyDelete